« AnteriorContinuar »
in the county of Salop, very suddenly, Jan. 1. At Edinburgh, Mrs Elizabeth Mrs Cornewall, Lady of the Rev. Dr Cleghorn, widow of the decealed Mr Corncwall, Dean of Canterbury, and sister James Hotchkis, brewer in Edinburgh. to the Marchioness of Abercorn.
2. Ai Dunfermline, Mrs May Hart, 26. At Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in the manufacturer of shirt, bed, and table li7ıt year of his age, the Rev. Richard Jamieson, some time minister of the E. At Glasgow, in the goth year of piscopal Congregation at Dumfries, and her age, Mrs Janet Fleming, widow of afterwards, for many years, Chaplain to the late Mr James Scott of Rutherglen. the English factory at Dantzig. By the 5. At Edinburgh, Mrs Adam, widow, advantage of a learned and liberal edu- of the deceased John Adam of Marycation at Edinburgh, which he improved burgh, Esq. during his residence at Dumfries, and by At Annan, John Irving, Esq. of affiduous conversation with the late Rev. Gulliclands, in the Soth year of his age. Dr Blacklock, he acquired a correct and 7. At Drynie, William Mackenzie, elegant taste for literature,
Esq. of Pitlundie, aged 85 years. 17. At Glafgow, Mrs Agnes Alftong The Right Hon. Francis Viscount, rclict of the deccased James Morton, Egess Kenmore. merchant there.
- At Airdpatrick, Argyleshire, Ang. Mr Alexander Hendrie, grocer in us M'Aleller, Esq. of Loup. in Edinburgh,
8. At Kirkcudbright, Mrs Margaret Mr George Willox, merchant in Elliot, wife oê Robert Boyd, merchant Old Aberdeen.
in Glasgow. At Curr'in Strathspey, Mrs Grace --. At Queensferry, James Dalgleith Grant, widow of the Rev. Mr Patrick of Reddoch, Elg. in the gift year of hiş Grant, late minister of Cromdale.
age. At Inverkip, Janet Lyon, aged 98. At Dumfries, M18 Johnfton, wife 28. At Bridgend of Dumfries, Chas. of Mr George Johnston of the Coilcc«: Macdonald, aged 100 years.
house. At Aberdour, Fifeshire, Miss Jess - At Cupar in Fife, Mrs Katharine Lifton, third daughter of the Rev. Mr Balfour, daughter to the late Major Hen. Lifton.
ry Balfour of Dunboig. At London, the Hon. Mrs Mur 8. At the houie of Lochridge, Ma say, wife of Admiral Murray, M. P. and thew Stewart, Elq. of Lochridge. daughter of Thomas Lord King. 9. At his house in St Patrick's Square,
29. At his house in George-street, George Keith Marshal, Efo. of NorthThomas Wilkinson, Esq. of Barrow- field, in the 7oth year of his age, most hill.
juftly regretted. - At Glasgow, Mr John Young, 11. At Edinburgh, Mrs Jean Clerk, merchant in Glasgow.
widow of the late James Smollett, Esq. - At Banff Castle, the Right Hon. of Bonhill. the Countess Dowager of Findlater and 13. At Perth, Mungo Murray, Esq. Seafield.
of Kincairney. 30. At his house in Prince's ftreet, Jas. 15. Miss Catharine Wilkinson, fourth Mackenzie, Elg. of Forret.
daughter of the deceased Thomas Wil. 31. Af Banff, aged 68, Mrs Barbara kin on, of Barrowhill, Esq. Strachan, spoule of George M.Killigin, Mr John Anderson, F. R. SS. Elg. present provost of Banff.
Lond. and Edin. and Professor of NatuLately, at Aux Cayes in St Domingo, ral Philosophy in the University oi Giafon his return from America, Duncan gow, much regretted, in the 70th year. of Campbell, Esq. of Knapdalt in the island his age, and 41st of his Profefforship: of Jamaica.
He was the author of many useful and --, Samuel Falknor; Efq. upon his ingenious inventions. passage to the Isle of Man, from Ireland, 16. At Camberwell, Mr David Rich was drowned, together with his nephew, ardson, of Paton Square, London. William Montgomery, Esq.
20. At Stirling, Mrs Edward Alexan-, at Weston, Gen. Jas. Johnson, der. Colonel of the Scots Greys.
25. At Greenock, Mrs Mary Boog, -, at Aberdeen, Adam Duff, Esq. wife of Mr David Williamson, merchant formerly provod of that city.
FOR FEBRUARY 1796;
With a view of WOODHOU'S E Lie.
CON TEN TS:
85 Of the Sentiment of Inno. Memoirs of Sir Charles Linnus, 89 cence,
124 Extracts from the “ Survey of
125 the Central Highlands,"
Of the Love of Country, 126 Management of Eltates, -97
Of the Sentiment of Admi. Principles of Improve.
Of the Marvellous,
128 A Satirical Puppet Show, 102 'l he Pleasure of Mystery, ib. Miscellaneous Extracts ; from Dr
The Pleasure of Ignorance, 129 Anderfori's Life of Johnfin, · 106 Observations on Coins,
131 Character of James Bofwell, Books and Pamphlets published Esq. ib. in January 1796,
134 Oblervations on Dr Johnson's The False Alarm; a Moral Story,136
Epitaph on a Duck, writ-
141 Account of Dr Johnfon's Elegiac Lines to the Memory of
Debates in the Senate of Mrs Cruickshank of Strathca.
ib. Remarks on Dr For fon's Verses addressed to a Blackbird, 142
Letter to the Earl of Chef The Rainbow ; a Simile, 143 terfield,
ib. Reflections on a Nobleman's MoObservations on Dr Johr:fon's nument,
ib. Pension, 110 Ode to Peace,
ib. Critique on Dr Johrfon's Elegy to the Memory of 7. Cour. Shakespeare,
ib. tenay, a Cadet in the Corps of Critique on Raselas, Prince Engineers,
144 of Abysinia, Critique on Dr Johnson's Proceedings of the Sixth ParliaTragedy of Irene,
ment of Great Britain, 145 Some Account of Marat, 114
MONTHLY REGISTER. Minutes of Agriculture, from the Interesting Intelligence from the Reports of the Agricultural London Gazettes,
153 Board, 118 Affairs in Scotland,
157 Leicefterhire, ib. Births,
158 Middlesex, 120 Marriages and Deaths,
State of the Barometer in inches and decimals, and of Farenheit's THER
MOMETER in the open air, taken in the morning before sun-rise, and at noon ; and the quantity of rain-water fallen, in inches and decimals, from February Ist to 29th, within one mile of the Castle of Edinburgh.
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
49 39 40 42 40 41 39 42 43 43 40 45 38 39 40 48 43
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
32 37 44 33 35 35 46 37 43 42 45 45 44
23 24 25 26
29.9 30.06 33.25 30.3 30.23 33.23 30.25
45 38 37 39 35 37
Quantity of Rain 1.705