« AnteriorContinuar »
79 to the Weft Indies, which was wrecked one of the partners of Mell. Balfour and on Portland beach in the dreadful storm Thomson, merchants there. of the 17 h and 18th ult. when they with. 12. At Glasgow, Miss Elisabeth Roo most of the passengers and crew unfortu- bertion, daughter of Mr Patrick Roberta nately perished.
fon, writer there. 19. At Aberdeen, Mrs Francis Bur. At Floth, in the parish of Ruthmet, ipoule of Joseph Simpson, merchant well, Mr John Aginw, late Supervisor of in Aberdeen.
his Majelty's Revenue of Excise. 20. A: Tortola, Cipt. George Gor - At his houte, Leith Terrace, Mr don, of the Hope of Greenock. James Dickson, nursery and seedsman.
25. A Dundee, Mrs Cecilia Renald, 13. Ac Dumfries, Mr Wm. Brown, relict of Mr. Griffith Fergusson, late mi- watch and clock-maker. nister of the gospel at Dinnichen.
At Burntilland, Miss Kennedy ok Mrs Vernon, at her house, Prin- Balony. ce's street.
At Binff, James Donaldson, Esq. 26. At his house in Greenock, Robert of Kinnairdie. Lee, Eig.
14. In Stirlingshire, Miss Ann MurAi Middlefield, Leith Walk, the ray, niece to the late William Murray, Rev. Dr James Robertson, Professor of Esg. of Polmaise. Oriental Languages in the Univerfity of At Lanark, Mrs Mary Jackson, Edinburgh,
spouse of Mr Daniel Murray, merchant Ai Edinburgh, Alexander Elphin- there. Kone, Elg. Advocate.
15. A: Carlinwark, Mr Thomas Clint, "27. At Tynron Manse, Mrs Wilson, vintner there. wife of the Rev. Mr Wilson, minister of - At Ardnafuoran, in Arasaig, Mr Tynron.
Donald Chisholm, merchant
there. 28. At Ormiston Lodge, the honour At St John's Town, Dalry, Miss able Charles-Barclay Maitland. Janet Dick, only daughter of the deceaf
29. A: Dublin, Lieut. Col. Trotter of ed Mr Alexander Dick, late Minister of thie i 12th regimení.
the Gospel at Dalry. -. At his house in Surgeons Square, 17. At Aberdeen, Miss Margaret ForMr Sharp, late of the island of Jamaica. bes, daughter of the Rev. Mr Forbes,
30. In the 84th year of his age, Wm. formerly minister at Slains. Gibson, of Fitnie, Efq. near Montrose. At Bucharn, Capt. Lowrie Leith,
Dec. 2. At Haddington, the Rev. Dr of the Princels of Wales's, or AberdeenGeorge Barclay of Middleton, in the fire fencible regiment. 64th year of his age, and 36th of his mi 13. At his house at Blinkbonny, near niftry.
Edinburgh, Mr Robert Cleghorn baker - At Springbank, in the ißand of Ar- in Leitb. ran, Neil Shannon, Esq. of Levenshaw. At Broughton, Mrs Cockburn,
5. Mrs G. Eliza Ogilvie, spouse of widow of the late Mr John Cockburn, Mr Ephraim Gardner, at the Glasgow writer in Dunfe. Tanwork.
19. Mrs Maria Reinagle, spouse of 6. At Mount Pleasant, near Edinburgh, Mr Schetky, music-master. Miss Elsabeth Lockhart, only daughter 20. The Rev. Mr John Cooper, miof Mr Walter Lockhari, writer in e- nister of Class, in the 98th year of his dinburgh.
age. 7. Ac Inverness, Captain Richard Ru At Ulan, Archibald Scott, Esq. of therford of the Royal Navy.
Ulan. 8. Ac Nuthill, in Fife, Capt. William 21. At Glasgow, James Home Purves, Beti, of the Royal Navy.
Esq. fecond son of Sir Alexander Purves 9. At Leith, in his 68th year, Mr John of Purves, Baronet. Hadaway, fin.
Ar Derby, Miss Rouet, youngeft 10. At Alva, John Johnstone, Efq. of daughter of the late William Rouet, Efq. Alva.
of Auchendennan. --. At his house in Banff, Jas. Shand, At Dumfrics, Mrs Lawson, relict Eig: of Craigellis, late Provost of Banff, of Hugh Lawson, El. of Girthhead, in ine 84th year of his age,
late merchant there. 11. Ar Montrose, Mrs Elizabeth Pile 22. At his house in St Andrew's square, mer, spouse of Mr Alexander Innes, mer• Dr Collin Drummond, Phyfician in E chant there,
dinburgh. ---, At Kirkcaldy, Thomas Thomson, . At the Mangon-house of Deibury,
in the county of Salop, very suddenly, Jan. 1. At Edinburgh, Mrs Elizabeth Mrs Cornewall, Lady of the Rev. Dr Cleghorn, widow of the deceased Me Cornewall, Dean of Canterbury, and fifter James Hotchkis, brewer in Edinburgh. to the Marchionels of Abercorn.
2. Ac Dunfermline, Mrs May Hart, 26. At Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in the manufacturer of shirt, bed, and table li gift year of his age, the Rev. Richard nens. Jamieson, some time minister of the E At Glasgow, in the goth year of piscopal Congregation at Dumfries, and her age, Mrs Janet Fleming, widow of afterwards, for many years, Chaplain to the late Mr James Scott of Rutherglen. the English factory at Dantzig. By the 5. At Edinburgh, Mrs Adam, widow, advantage of a learned and liberal edu- of the deceased John Adam of Marycation at Edinburgh, which he improved burgh, Esq. during his residence at Dumfries, and by - At Annan, John Irving, Esq. of affiduous conversation with the late Rev. Gulliclands, in the 8oth year of his age. Dr Blacklock, he acquịred a correct and 7. At Drynie, William Mackenzie, elegant tafte for literature.
Esq. of Pitlundie, aged 85 years. 27. At Glafgow, Mrs Agnes Alston, - The Right Hon. Francis Viscounts rclict of the deceased James Morton, Egels Kenmore. merchant there.
- At Airdpatrick, Argylethire, Ang. -. Mr Alexander Hendrie, grocer in us M'Aleller, Elq. of Loup. in Edinburgh,
8. Ac Kirkcudbright, Mrs Margaret - Mr George Willox, merchant in Elliot, wife of Robert Boyd, merchant Old Aberdeen.
in Glasgow. -. At Curr'in Strathspey, Mrs Grace - At Queensferry, James Dalgleth Grant, widow of the Rev. Mr Patrick of Reddoch, Elg. in the gift year of hiş Grant, late minister of Cromdale. age.
At Inverkip, Janet Lyon, aged 98. At Dumfries, Mrs Johnfton, wife 28. At Bridgend of Dumfries, Chas. of Mr George Johnston of the Colcc«n Macdonald, aged 100 years:
house. At Aberdour, Fiteshire, Mifs Jess At Cupar in Fife, Mrs Katharine Lifton, third daughter of the Rev. Mr Balfour, daughter to the late Majur HeaLifton.
ry Balfour of Dunboig. -. At London, the Hon. Mrs Mur. 8. At the house of Lochridge, Mae ray, wife of Admiral Murray, M. P. and thew Stewart, Esq. of Lochriilge. daughter of Thomas Lord King.
9. At his house in St Patrick's Square, 29. At his house in George-street, George Keith Marshal, Elg. of Northa Thomas Wilkinson, Esq. of Barrow- field, in the 70th year of his age,
juftly regretted. At Glasgow, Mr John Young, 11. At Edinburgh, Mrs Jean Clerk, merchant in Glasgow.
widow of the late James Smollett, Esq. At Banff Castle, the Right Hon. of Bonhill. the Countess Dowager of Findlater and 13. At Perth, Mungo Murray, Efq. Seafield.
of Kincairney. 30. At his house in Prince's street, Jas. 15. Miss Catharine Wilkinson, fourth Mackenzie, Esq. of Forret.
daughter of the deceased Thomas Wil. 31. At Banff, aged 68, Mrs Barbaşa kin on, of Barrowhill, Esq. Strachan, spouse of George M Killigin, Mr John Anderson, F. R. SS, El. prefent provoft of Banff
Lond. and Edin. and Professor of NatuLately, at Aux Cayes in St Domingo, ral Philosophy in the University of Giafon' his return from America, Duncan gow, much regretted, in the poth year of Campbell, Esq. of Knapdalt in the island his age, and 41st of his Profefforship. of Jamaica.
He was the author of many useful and -, Samuel Falknor; Elg. upon his ingenious inventions. passage to the Isle of Man, from Ireland, 16. At Camberwell, Mr David Rich. was drowned, together with his nephew, ardson, of Paton Square, London. William Montgomery, Esq.
20. At Stirling, Mrs Edward Alexan. -, at Weston, Gen. Jas. Johnson, der. Colonel of the Scots Greys.
25. At Greenock, Mrs Mary Boog, , at Aberdeen, Adam Duff, Esq. wife of Mr David Williamson, incrchauk formerly provod of that city.
FOR FEBRUARY 1796 ;
With a View of WOODHOU'S E LIE.
Of Mental Affections,
Of the Sentiment of Inno. Memoirs of Sir Charles Linncus, 89
124 Extracts from the “ Survey of
125 the Central Highlands," · 93
Of the Love of Country, 126 Management of Eltates, -97 Of the Sentiment of Admi. Principles of Improve.
Of the Marvellous, 128 A Satirical Puppet Show,
The Pleasure of Mystery, ib. Miscellaneous Extracts; from Dr
The Pleasure of Ignorance, 129 Anderfu's Life of Johnson, - 106 Observations on Coins,
131 Character of James Bofwell,
Books and Pamphlets published Esq.
in January 1796,
134 Observations on Dr Johnson's The Falle Alarm; a Moral Story,136
Epitaph on a Duck, writ-
141 Account of Dr Johnson's Elegiac Lines to the Memory of
Debates in the Senate of Mrs Cruickshank of Strathca.
ib. Remarks on Dr Johrfon's
Verses addrefied to a Blackbird, 142 Letter to the Earl of Chef: The Rainbow ; a Simile, 143 terfield,
ib. Reflections on a Nobleman's Mo. Observations on Dr Johrson's nument,
ib. Pension, 110 Ode to Peace,
ib. Critique on Dr Johrson's Elegy to the Memory of 7. Cour.“ Shakespeare,
ib. tenay, a Cadet in the Corps of Critique on Raselas, Prince Engineers,
144 of Abyfinia, Critique on Dr Johnson's Proceedings of the Sixth ParliaTragedy of Irene,
ment of Great Britain, 145 Some Account of Marat, 114
MONTHLY REGISTER. Minutes of Agriculture, from the Interesting Intelligence from the Reports of the Agricultural London Gazettes,
153 Board, 118 Affairs in Scotland,
157 Leiceftershire, ib. Births,
158 Middlesex, 120 Marriages and Deaths,
State of the Barometer in inches and decimals, and of Farenheir's Ther
MOMETER in the open air, taken in the morning before fun-rise, and at noon ; and the quantity of rain-water fallen, in inches and decimals, from February ist to 29th, within one mile of the Castle of Edinburgh.
40 37 41
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
29.7 29 75 29.8 29.9 30.06 30.25 30.3 30.23 30.23 30.25
Quantity of Rain 1.705