This is an updated edition of Conrad Totman’s authoritative history of Japan from c.8000 BC to the present day.
- The first edition was widely praised for combining sophistication and accessibility.
- Covers a wide range of subjects, including geology, climate, agriculture, government and politics, culture, literature, media, foreign relations, imperialism, and industrialism.
- Updated to include an epilogue on Japan today and tomorrow.
- Now includes more on women in history and more on international relations.
- Bibliographical listings have been updated and enlarged.