« AnteriorContinuar »
466. 703. The Niobe of nations. Niobe, all of
whose children were slain by Apollo and Diana because of her pride, stands as a
symbol of grief and suffering. 467. 732. When Brutus, etc. The reference
is to the murder of Julius Cæsar by
combats. 459. 1648. I have loved thee, Ocean. Byron was a swimmer of extraordinary ability.
DON JUAN: DEDICATION 460. 1. Bob Southey! You're a Poet. The
satiric dedication to Robert Southey was
The Biographia Literaria was published
Wordsworth's philosophical poem, The Excursion, was published in 1814, 132. Buff and blue. Here used, as often, as symbolic of republicanism.
461. 730. Thermopylæ. The most famous
battle at the pass of Thermopylæ was
song : .. Polycrates.
ing the southern extremity of Attica.
owes to Hoyle. Edmund Hoyle (1672–
690. Sappho. The only woman among the
hand of the sculptor and the heart of the king.
ODE TO THE WEST WIND
473. 21. Mänad. A priestess of Bacchus.
32. Baiæ's bay. Baiæ, near Naples,
THE INDIAN SERENADE
474. II. Champak. An Indian tree, somewhat
like a magnolia.
THE CLOUD 475. 81. Cenotaph. A monument built in
honor of a person who is buried in some other place.
PROMETHEUS UNBOUND: ACT IV
479. 1. This is the day, etc. Demogorgon's
speech gives Shelley's idea of the reconstructed universe for which he was always longing.
Shelley's elegy, reminiscent of Milton's
erly the patroness of Astronomy. 480. 30. The Sire of an immortal strain. John
in the Protestant cemetery at Rome. 481. 133. She pined away: Narcissus dis
dained the love of the nymph Echo;
Echo died of grief. 482. 140. To Phoebus was not Hyacinth so
dear. The youth Hyacinth, greatly be-
killed Keats with his brutal reviews. 483. 238. The unpastured dragon. The world. 244 ff. The herded wolves, ravens,
vultures. Critics to the conqueror's banner true,” i. e., subservient to the political party in power.
Keats's friendship with Leigh Hunt, a very advanced Liberal, brought many attacks
462. 838. The Morning Post. Coleridge first
became a regular contributor to the Post
871. The épopée. The epic poem.
worth's poem The Waggoner, written in
occupies cantos ii, iii, and iv.
1487), Italian poet, author of a burlesque
epic entitled Il Morgante Maggiore.
472. 8. The hand that mocked them and the
heart that fed. The passions survive the
250. The Pythian of the age one arrow however, only two books and a fragment 13. Flora. Goddess of the flowers.
THE EVE OF ST. AGNES
sped. Byron, and his English Bards and
LINES ON THE MERMAID TAVERN Scotch Reviewers. 484. 264. The Pilgrim of Eternity. Byron. 496. A mermaid was a favorite device for the
Shelley is thinking of Childe Harold's sign-board of an old English tavern. Pilgrimage.
The “ Mermaid Tavern" to which Keats 268, 9. Ieme sent the sweetest lyrist, refers was the gathering place of the most etc. Ireland sent Tom Moore.
famous Elizabethan wits and dramatists. matter of fact, neither Byron nor Moore was particularly affected by the death of
ROBIN HOOD Keats. 271. One frail Form. Shelley himself.
33. Gone the merry morris din. А 276. Actæon-like. Actæon, in punish
* morris dance"-probably from “ Moorment for having seen Diana in the bath,
ish dance "-was an outdoor revel in was turned into a stag and torn by his
which the performers wore grotesque cosown dogs.
tumes and bells. 307. What softer voice. Leigh Hunt.
34. The song of Gamelyn. A pseudo485. 325. Live thou! The author of an excep
Chaucerian tale of outlawry is called tionally brutal attack on Keats in the
“ The Tale of Gamelyn.” Keats uses Quarterly Review. Compare Byron's
the phrase as synonymous with the outtwo stanzas beginning “ Who killed John
door life of Robin Hood. Keats?"
36. “Grene shawe.” Green wood. 343. Peace, peace! he is not dead. With the conception of immortality set forth in the remaining stanzas one should
496. The twenty-first of January is St. Agnes's compare Lycidas, Il. 165-185.
Day; the evening of the twentieth is “ the 486. 399. Chatterton. Cf. note to Words
Eve of St. Agnes.” The superstition worth's Resolution and Independence, around which the poem centers is made 1. 43, p. 407.
sufficiently clear in the course of the story. 401. Sidney. Died at the age of thirty- 498. 115. The holy loom, etc. On St. Agnes's two.
day, during the celebration of the mass, 404. Lucan.
A Latin poet, forced by two lambs might be offered to the church Nero to commit suicide at the age of
(cf. I. 71). The nuns afterwards spun and twenty-six.
wove the wool. 487. 439. Slope of green access. The Protest- 499. 171. Since Merlin paid his Demon, etc. ant cemetery.
Merlin, the famous wizard and prophet of Arthurian romance, was the son of a
demon, and became himself the victim KEATS
of magic. See Tennyson's Merlin and SLEEP AND POETRY
174. Tambour frame. An embroidery 490. This poem appeared in Keats's 1817 volume. It is a somewhat formless collec
frame shaped like a tambour, or drum. tion of Keats's own ideas concerning
600. 241. Clasped like a missal, etc. Claspod poetry and its joys; the selection here
probably modifies soul; in the two follow
ing lines her soul is likened to a rose that reprinted shows Keats protesting against
is shut. The line means, then, that her the formalism of the 18th century, and
soul was clasped as tightly in sleep as a particularly against those critics who traced their ancestry back to Boileau.
prayer-book would be by a Christian in
a land of Pagans. ODE TO A NIGHTINGALE 492. 4. Lethe. One of the four rivers of Hades; whoever drank of its waters became ob
602. Keats planned to write an epic dealing livious of all the past.
with the overthrow of Saturn by Jupiter.
When the poem was published in 1820, 7. Dryad. A tree nymph.
of a third had been written. 14. Provençal song. The lyrics of Pro
603. 23. There came one. Thea, sister of 16. Hippocrene. The fountain of the
30. Ixion's wheel. Ixion was chained for Muses on Mt. Helicon. 32. Bacchus and his pards. Leopards
all eternity to a revolving wheel. are often represented as drawing the car
504. 147. The rebel three. Jupiter, Neptune,
and Pluto, of Bacchus.
166. Hyperion. When the action of the
poem commences, the victory of Jupiter ODE ON A GRECIAN URN
is incomplete. Hyperion is still god of the 493. 7. Tempe, Arcady. Here used simply to
sun. indicate places of beauty and carefree 606. 246. Tellus. Goddess of the earth. life. Tempe was a valley in Thessaly.
307. Cælus. God of the heavens.
ON FIRST LOOKING INTO CHAPMAN'S HOMER 607. George Chapman (15592-1634) published
his translation of Homer in 1598 and
Historical accuracy would compel the substitution of Balboa for Cortez,
BRIGHT STAR 608. Usually known as Keats's “ last sonnet,”
written while he was en route to Italy.
YE MARINERS OF ENGLAND
15. Blake. Oliver Cromwell's most successful admiral. He died at sea in 1657. Nelson. The victor of Trafalgar.
MOORE THE HARP THAT ONCE THROUGH TARA'S HALLS 609. Tara was formerly an Irish capital city.
OH, BREATHE NOT HIS NAME The famous Irish rebel was executed in 1803 because of treasonable correspondence with Napoleon, and armed rebellion against the crown.
WOLFE THE BURIAL OF SIR JOHN MOORE Sir John Moore, an English general in charge of an army in the Peninsular War, was shot at Corunna, Spain, in January, 1809. At his own request he was buried within the ramparts of the town.
CHRIST'S HOSPITAL 512. The essay purports to be written by a
student of Christ's Hospital who feels
44. Caro equina. Horseflesh. 613. 54. Griskin. Lean loin of pork.
62. The Tishbite. Elijah.
Mary, Devonshire. 614. 187. Upon the leads. On the lead-covered famous Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, who twice ran away from school, once
614. 240. He ate strange flesh. See Antony
and Cleopatra, I. iv. 67.
The name given to
Watchet weeds.” Blue uniform. 616. 378. Ultima Supplicia. Last punish
his own natural impulses.
ents were accustomed to teach their
as a surname.
526. Tristis severitas in vultu. Gloomy
559. Rabidus furor. Rabid rage.
turning chimney sweep. 623. 232. Defiliations. Instances of parents
being deprived of their children.
him to sleep:
290. Jem White. A schoolfellow of
other in baking. 626. 388. Golden lads, etc. From Cymbeline,
DISSERTATION UPON ROAST PIG The Chinese manuscript, and the volume ascribed to Confucius, are inventions of Lamb, who, however, obtained the suggestion for the essay from his friend Thomas Manning, who had travelled in
China. 627. 188. Locke. John Locke (1632-1704), au
618. 636. Regni novitas. The newness of the
and C. V. Leg. for Shakespeare.
Homer called Nireus the handsomest of
University students who received free board; formerly they performed certain menial duties in return for the financial assistance.
621. 221. John L. Lamb's brother John, who
died shortly before this essay was written.
THE PRAISE OF CHIMNEY SWEEPERS 5. Nigritude. Blackness. 9. Professional notes.
Their call of “Sweep! Sweep!" 19. Sport their cloth. Wear a garb of black, like a clergyman.
28. Fauces Averni. The jaws of hell. 622. 53. Kibed. Chilblained.
56. Tester. Sixpence.
vegetable market of London.
work, for Lamb lived in the Temple,
thor of the Essay concerning Human U *-