Imágenes de página

extent and accuracy of his knowledge in all departments.

Dr. Turner's first publication was a small treatise on the Atomic Theory. His ' Elements of Chemistry' has been for some years the text book used by almost all teachers. He was the author of several papers in scientific periodicals, and in the Transactions of the Royal Societies of Edinburgh and London.

Dr. Turner was a member of the established Church of England, and a strict observer of its ordinances; but his religion was perfectly free from bigotry or intolerance. An extraordinary amenity and benevolence were the characteristics of his disposition.

To gratify his admiring friends and pupils, his body was brought to the College, and thence accompanied by them on the 18th Feb. to the cemetery at Kensall Green.

Rev. W. M. Heai.d. M. A.

Jan Aged 70, the Rev. William

Margetson Heald, M. A. late Vicar of Birstal, near Leeds.

Mr. Heald was born within two miles of the place in which he followed his ministerial labours for 38 years. He was a native of Dewsbury Moor, and fellow student with the Rev. Dr. Naylor, of Wakefield, at the Batley grammar school, at that time under the able management of the Rev. Mr. Hargreaves. Mr. Heald was primarily destined for the medical profession, and for that purpose was articled to a Mr. Floyd, of Leeds: he afterwards attended lectures in Edinburgh and in London, and was one of the class of the celebrated John Hunter during the last course of lectures given by that excellent lecturer. Mr. Heald then commenced practice as a surgeon and apothecary in Wakefield, but after a very short time he became so dissatisfied with the profession, that he determined to abandon it. He then went to Cambridge, where his friend Mr. Naylor was studying, and entered at Catharine Hall. He graduated B. A. 1794. M. A. 1798. Having entered holy orders, he obtained a curacy in the neighbourhood of Cambridge, which he held for some time, and also became tutor to some young men in the university. Shortly after this, he was appointed curate of Birstal, on the death of the Rev. Mr. Ogden, to which place he removed with his pupils. Three years after, in 1800, upon the death of the incumbent, Mr. Heald obtained the vicarage, which he faithfully served to within a few months of his death. In the month of July last, he signified to the congregation his desire to retire more privately than the vicarage

duties would allow him, and having signified his desire to the Archbishop of York, (in whose gift is the living) his Grace, in the most handsome manner, immediately presented the living to W. M. Heald, jun. M. A., than whom no man more richly deserved it.

Amongst Mr. Heald's earliest pupils were the present Venerable Archdeacon Musgrave, Vicar of Halifax, and his brother the Rev. F. Musgrave, Fellow Trin. Coll. Cambridge.

During Mr. Heald's medical studies, and while he was in Edinburgh, he published a poem, " The Brunoniade," of considerable spirit, attacking the doctrine of Brown, who, at that period, was contending for the palm of pre-eminence with Cullen. Mr. Heald's other publications have been of a different nature, but all displaying a mind very highly polished and judiciously managed. In politics Mr. Heald was a consistent Liberal, and was never deterred from freely and fearlessly avowing his principles. No man ever enjoyed more general respect in a parish of such extent and density, the population exceeding 25,000. As proof of this we may refer to the very handsome presents from both Churchmen and Dissenters so very recently presented to their beloved Vicar.

Josmi Sabine. Esq. F. R. S.

Jan. 24. In Mill-street, Hanoversquare, aged 67, Joseph Sabine, esq. F. R., L., and Z. SS. &c. &c.

This highly-talented man was educated for the bar, but we do not find that he was actually called.

He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society Nov. 7, 1799. In 1808 he was appointed inspector-general of taxes, which office he held for twenty-six years, and when that office was abolished in 1835, the present government allowed him a compensation pension of 350/. per annum, seven of his colleagues having retired eighteen years before on 400/. Mr. Sabine was honorary secretary (we may say founder) of the Horticultural Society, treasurer and vice-president of the Zoological Society, and one of the council of the Royal and Linnean Societies, and many other scientific institutions. His management of the Horticultural Society was considered by a numerous party to have contributed to the enormous debt in which, some years ago, the Society was involved; which led to his retirement, though without any imputation upon his personal honesty. His interference in the management of the Zoological Society more recently led to serious dissen

sions j but his views were supported by a numerous body of friends.

His body was interred on the 1st Feb. in the cemetery at Kensall Green. The gentlemen who attended the funeral were, his nephew, Captain Browne; Captain Bowles, R. N.; Edward Barnard, esq; Robert Brown, esq.; Dr. Beattie; Edward S. Hardisty, esq.; and Thomas Goode, esq.

The public is indebted to the persevering exertions and personal influence ot Mr. Sabine, for the marble statue to the memory of Sir Joseph Banks, placed in the hall of the British Museum, and also for the monument erected to Philip Miller, in Chelsea churchyard.

Adm. Sib, John Harvey, K.C.B. Feb. 17. At Upper Deal, Sir John Harvey, K.C.B., Admiral of the Blue.

This officer was the second son of the late Captain John Harvey, who commanded the Brunswick, of 74, guns, in the memoiable battle of the 1st of June, 1794*

He entered the naval service in early life, and served, on the Newfoundland station, midshipman of the Rose frigate, commanded by his uncle the late Sir Henry Harvey, and subsequently on board other ships, in various parts of the world, until promoted from the Royal George, Admiral Harrington, to the rank of Lieutenant, 3d Nov. 1790. He was shortly afterwards appointed to the Shark sloop, commanded by Capt. the Hon. Arthur K. Legge: in Oct. 1791 he was appointed to the Nemesis, Capt. Alex. I. Ball, and actively employed on the Milford station, until the beginning of 1793: in February of that year he was, by the particular request of Capt. Sinclair, appointed his First Lieutenant in the Iphigenia frigate, and sailed in March to the West Indies, under the command of Sir Alan Gardner. By the following August the Iphigenia proceeded to Jamaica, to be under the orders of Commodore Ford; and when on that station, and in company with the Penelope, Capt. B. S. Rowley, she assisted, on the night of the 20th Nov. in the capture of the fine French frigate Inconstant

In April 1794 he was appointed, by his father's friend, Commodore Ford, fifth lieutenant of the Europa, to take his chance of promotion: in that ship he saw much service on the coast of St. Domingo, and at the capture of Port-au-Prince. The numerous vacancies by death, from the very unhealthy state of the station

[ocr errors][merged small]

(the Iphigenia in particular having lost her Captain and all her officers, with the exception of the surgeon), occasioned his promotion to the rank of Commander on the 5th Sept. (two Captains, Roberts and Hills, having died on that day) and appointment to L'Actif brig; he sailed from Jamaica on the 2d Nov. under the orders of the St. Alban's, Captain Vashon, in company with the Chichester and homeward-bound trade, when, from the exceedingly leaky condition of L'Actif, and the rough state of the weather, she suddenly foundered, late in the evening of the 25th; with great difficulty the crew were saved by the boats of the St. Alban's, the evening being dark, with a heavy sea, After a tedious and tempestuous passage, and in a very distressed condition, from shortness of provisions, the St. Alban's reached Cork, having narrowly escaped being captured by a French fleet. On his arrival in England, Captain Harvey found himself promoted, on the 16th Dec. J 794, to the rank of Post-Captain, in consequence of the distinguished conduct of his father in the battle of the 1st of June.

Capt. Harvey not being successful in his repeated applications for the command of a frigate, he was, by the request of his uncle Sir Henry Harvey, who was in command of a squadron, and whose flag was flying on board the Prince of Wales, 98, appointed to that ship 30th July, 1795: and he shared with his uncle the anxiety attending the hazardous expedition, in the winter season, to Quiberon Bay.

Sir Henry being appointed Commanderin-Chief of the Leeward Islands, reached Barbadoes 19th June, 1796. On the 12tb Feb. 1797, Sir Henry sailed from Martinique with the squadron and the troops under the command of Sir Ralph Abercromby, to attack the island of Trinidad, where they arrived by the afternoon of the 16th. On the same night the Spanish squadron, commanded by a Rear-Admiral, of four sail of the line and one frigate, were burnt by the enemy, with the exception of one ship of the line, taken possession of by the boats of the British squadron: the island surrendered to the British forces on the 18th; Capt Harvey was, on this occasion, selected by the Admiral to be the bearer of his dispatches, communicating the particulars of this important conquest, and arrived at the Admiralty on the 27th March.

Though urgent in his solicitations for employment, Capt. Harvey did not succeed until the 24th Sept. 1798, when he was appointed to the Southampton, of 32 guns, in which ship he proceeded to

183/.] Obituaky.Adm. Sir J. Harvey.—Mr. Cervetlo.

the West Indies; cruized successfully against the enemy in those seas, and assisted at the capture of the Danish settlements. He quitted the Southampton, and returned to England, Aug. 1801, in command of the Amphitrite, and was shortly afterwards superseded by Capt. F. Warren.

In July 1804, Capt. Harvey was appointed to the Agamemnon, of 64 guns, which ship, at the close of the year, was one of the squadron under the command of Sir John Orde, off Cadiz, on which station he captured several valuable Spanish vessels, the proceeds of which became droits of Admiralty, though the Spaniards had declared war, and Captain Harvey had had orders from Sir John Orde to take, sink, burn and destroy, all Spanish vessels. On the 9th of April, 1805, the Agamemnon, in company with the squadron under Sir John Orde, was surprised while at anchor off Cadiz, for the purpose of refitting and victualling, by the sudden appearance of the Toulon fleet; on which occasion the Agamemnon was so expeditiously equipped and prepared for action, as to elicit the following testimonial:—" Mem. The Commanderin-Chief has great pleasure in returning his thanks to Capt. Harvey for the very officer-like manner in which bis new main-yard was got on board and rigged for service. J. Obdf."

The Agamemnon subsequently joined the fleet under Sir Robert Calder, and on the 22d July, off Ferrol, bore a distinguished part in the battle with, and capture of, two sail of the line of the combined French and Spanish fleet. On the 22d August following, the Agamemnon was one of the ships under Admiral Cornwall is, when the French fleet escaped from his meditated attack in Bertheaume Bay.

In Sept. 1805 Capt. Harvey was removed from the Agamemnon to the Canada, 74 guns, and proceeded with the outward-bound trade to the Leeward Islands, where he was actively employed, until he returned to England in charge of the homeward-bound trade; the Canada, being in a defective state, was paid off in Dec. 1807.

In July 1808 Captain Harvey was appointed to the Leviathan, of 74guns, and was employed a short time in the Channel; afterwards at Cadiz, and in the Mediterranean, under Lord Collingwood. The Leviathan was one of the squadron, under Sir George Martin, detached by Lord Collingwood, in pursuit of three French ships of the line and a frigate, and succeeded in driving them on shore at Cette, two of which were burnt.

Captain Harvey left the Leviathan in March 1811, and took the command of the Royal Sovereign, 110guns; he continued in the Mediterranean until October 1811 ; then returned, in consequence of ill health, to England, and quitted, in December following, the command of that ship. •

Capt. Harvey was promoted to the rank of Rear-Admiral 4th Dec. 1813. He was appointed Commander-in-Chief of the Leeward Islands, and arrived, with his flag on board the Antelope, 50 guns, at Barbadoes on the 22d March, 1816. In a violent and destructive hurricane, in Nov. 1817, the Antelope was, by the Rear-Admiral's judicious arrangement, saved from being wrecked at St. Lucia by timely proceeding to sea from that island. The Rear-Admiral returned to England, and struck his flag, March 1819. He was promoted to the rank of ViceAdmiral 27th May, 1825, and was nominated a Knight Commander of the Most Hon. Military Order of the Bath in June 1833 i and on the 10th Jan. 1837 was advanced to the rank of Admiral of the Blue.

That Sir John Harvey was a zealous officer and good seaman is amply testified, by the highly flattering encomiums bestowed upon him by his superiors: the ships which he commanded were, on all occasions, well conducted, and kept in most efficient fighting order. His care of the public stores was such as to merit the commendation of Lord Collingwood, Sir Alexander Cochrane, and other flagofficers under whom he served.

He has left a widow and one daughter, having married in 1797 his first cousin, the only daughter of William Wyborn Bradley, esq., of Sandwich.

Mr. James Cervetto.

Feb. 5. Aged 90, Mr. James Cervetto, "the younger," formerly a celebrated violincellist.

He was the son of the elder James Cervetto, who was born in Italy in 1682, and came in 1738 to London, where he continued until 1783, and then died at the great age of 101. He first brought the violincello into favour in England, though his tone, in comparison with more modern performers, was raw and uninteresting. He was leader of the Drury-lane orchestra in the time of Garrick; and in consequence of his very prominent nose, the gods in the gallery used to call out " Play up, Nosey!" Hence the origin of a phrase not unfrequently heard at the theatre even to the present day.

The younger Cervetto, when quite « child, and hardly acquainted with the ga

[ocr errors]

mut, had a better tone on the violincello,
and played what he was able to execute,
in a manner much more chantante than
his father: and, when arrived at manhood,
his tone and expression were equal to
those of the best tenor voices. He was
a member of the Royal Society of Mu-
sicians for seventy-two years; and he at-
tended the Philharmonic and other con-
certs (not as a performer) during the
whole of last season. He inherited a
good fortune from his father. He pub-
lished some instrumental music of bis
own composition.


In Dublin, the Rev. M. Jiurrotres,
Curate of Upper Cumber.

At Llangefelach, aged 77, the Rev.
W. Davies, formerly curate of that pa-

At Loddiswell, Devonshire, aged 50, the Rev. Thomas Freke, Rector of that parish, and Down St. Mary. He was of Emanuel college, Cambridge; M.A. 1812; was instituted to the Litter living in that year, and to Loddiswell on his own patronage in 1824.

At Stathern, Leicestershire, aged 70, the Rev. William Greenwood, Vicar of Hose, and for forty years Curate of Stathern. He was presented to Hose by the Duke of Rutland, in 1801.

At Kilpyll, co. Cardigan, the Rev. Hugh Lloyd, Vicar of Llangeitho, in that county, to which be was collated in 1816, byDr. Burgess, then Bishop of St. David's.

The Rev. H. Morgan, Rector of Dysart, Queen's County.

At Hartest, Suffolk, aged 71, the Rev. William Weller Poley, of Queen's college, Cambridge, B.A. 1788, M.A. 1791.

The Rev. John Singleton, Vicar of
Bole, Notts. He was of St. John's
college, Cambridge, B.A. 1793, M.A.
1796 ; and was presented to Bole in 1811,
by the Prebendary of that stall in the Ca-
thedral Church of York.

At his residence, Trenethic, near Hel-
ston, Cornwall, aged 83, the Rev. Thomas
Wills, Vicar of Wendron with Helston.
He was of University college, Oxford,
B.C.L. 1778; and was presented to
Wendron by Queen's college, in 1784.

Oct. 17. At Bombay, aged 43, the
Rev. D. Young, Chaplain in the East

"ia Company's Service.

Dec. 20. Aged 76, the Rev. William

Hngs, Vicar of Padstow, Cornwall.

Hs a son of William Rawlings, esq. a

'lished merchant of Padstow; bio

*lic late Thomas Rawlings, esq.

>rin"of Cornwall in 1803; and

V present William Rawlings,

Obituary. [April,esq. of Padstow. He was a member of Exeter college, Oxford, and was presented to the vicarage of Padstowin 1790. His son, the Rev. William Rawlings, is Rector of Lansallos, in Cornwall, and married in 1821, Caroline, daughter of John Rogers, esq. of Penrose, and niece to the late Lord de Dunstanville.

Jnn. 3. Aged 80, the Rev. Richard Smijth, Rector of Stapleford Tawney with Theydon Mount, and of Great Warley, Essex. He was the third and youngest son of the late Rev. Sir Wm. Smijth, the sixth Bart, of Hill Hall, Essex, who also held the living of Stapleford Tawney, by Abigail, daughter of Andrew Wood, of Shrewsbury, esq.; took the degree of LL.B. as a member of St. John's college, Cambridge, in 1801, and was presented to the united churches abovenamed in the same year, by hisbrother the late Sir T. Smijth, Bart, and by other patrons to the living of Great Warley. He married Charlotte, daughter of James Montagu, esq. of Lackham, Wilts, who died in November, 1811. (See Gent. Mag. December, 1811, p. 594.)

Jan. 11. At Stallingborough, Lincolnshire, aged 78, the Rev. John Parkinson, lateRector of Healing, and Vicar of Immingham. He was of Balliol college, Oxford, M.A. 1787; was instituted to Immingham in 1782, and to Healing in 1793.

Jan. 15. At Crickbowel, co. Brecon, aged 31, the Rev. Henry Vaughan, B.A. Vicar of that parish, and late Minister of Park Chapel, Little Chelsea. He was ordained to a scholarship of Worcester college, Oxford, about seven years since; afterwards licensed to the curacy of Crickhowel; and on the resignation of the Rev. George Bevan appointed to the vicarage. Here helaboured with a zeal beyond his strength; establishing Infant and Sunday Schools, and an Auxiliary Church Missionary Society; and by the overflow of his congregation rendering it necessary for his church to be enlarged. The vicarage yielding little more than 70/. a year, Mr. Vaughan accepted last spring an invitation to the ministry of Park Chapel, Chelsea; but his loss at Crickhowel was so deeply felt, that his parishioners and friends voluntarily came forward with subscriptions to increase the stipend to 250/., on condition of his return. To this he consented; but had only preached three times when attacked by this fatal illness. In 1833 Mr. Vaughan published a volume of Sermons; last summer, two preached at Chelsea on the observance of the Lord's Day; and at the time of his decease he had in the press a course of Sermons, on the influences of the Holy

Spirit, which his hearers at Chelsea urgently desired him to publish.

Jan. 17. Aged 46, the Rev. Francis Freer Clay, fourteen years Minister of Wroxhall, Warwickshire, and for twentyfour years one of the assistant-masters of the Grammar School at Birmingham. He was the son of William Clay, esq. of London; was matriculated of Trinity college, Oxford, in 1807, and graduated B.A. 1811, M.A. 1814.

Jan. 18. At St. Andrew's, aged 90, the Rev. John Hunter, LL.D. F.R.S. Edinb. Principal of the United College of St. Salvator and St. Leonard in that University. He was a native of Closeburn, in Dumfriesshire. It is about sixty years since he was appointed Professor of Humanity in the University of St. Andrew's. He retired from that chair some years ago, and was appointed Principal of the United College about eighteen months since. He was one of the most learned men of his day, and is known throughout the world for his editions of Virgil, Livy, Horace, and other Latin authors. His son, Dr. James Hunter, is Professor of Logic in the same University.

The Rev. Dr. Willis, Rector of Kilmurry, near Limerick, (to which he was presented by the Marquess Wellesley, when Lord Lieutenant,) and Master of the Diocesan School.

Jan. 19. In Half-moon-street, the Rev. Alexander Charles Louis D'Arblay, Fellow of Christ coll. Camb. and Minister of Ely Chapel. He was the only child of the late Lieut.-Gen.Count Piocbard D'Arblay, formerly of the Royal Artillery of France, and of Madame D'Arblay, the authoress of Evelina, &c. and daughter of Charles Burney, Mus. D. author of the History of Music. He graduated B.A. 1818, M.A. 1821, and was presented to the perpetual curacy of Camden Town by Dr. Moore, Vicar of St. Paneras, in 1824.

In his 45th year, the Rev. William Stephen Dobson, of Kirkby Lonsdale, eldest son of the Rev. John Dobson, Perpetual Curate of St. James's, Manchester. He was of Peter-house, Cambridge, B.A. 1815, M.A. 1818.

In Grosvenor-street, London, aged 72, the Right Hon. and Rev. Andrews Windsor, seventh Earl of Plymouth. He was the fourth son of Other-Lewis the fourth Earl, by Catharine, eldest daughter of Thomas first Lord Archer, and succeeded his nephew Other-Archer the sixth Earl, July 10, 1833. His lordship was formerly Rector of Rochford, Essex, and Vicar of Rhaiadar, co. Glamorgan, to the latter of which livings he was presented in 1789 by his brother, and to the former

instituted in 1814; having taken the degree of M.A. at Cambridge, as a nobleman of Trinity hall, in 1786. He was unmarried, and is succeeded by his brother Henry, the only surviving male in remainder to the peerage.

Jan. 20. Aged 86, the Rev. Thomas Finch, Vicar of Barrington, and Hauxton cum Newton, Cambridgeshire. He was of Trinity college, Cambridge, B.A. 1773, M.A. 1776; was presented to his united churches in 1775, the patronage of the former being in the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, and that of the latter in the Dean and Chapter of Ely. Jan. 21. Aged 69, the Rev. Edward Harbin, Vicar of Takeley, Essex. He was the son of the late Rev. John Harbin, Rector of Hampreston, Dorsetshire, and was collated to Takeley in 1804, by Dr. Porteus, then Bishop of London.

Jan. 22. Aged 77, the Rev. Richard Fawcett, Vicar of Leeds. He was the youngest son of the late Rev. Richard Fawcett, Perpetual Curate of St. John's church, Leeds. He was of St. John's college, Cambridge, B.A. 1781, M.A. 1784. In 1783 he commenced his clerical duties as clerk in orders at Leeds; in 1791 was presented to the perpetual curacy of Armley, Yorkshire, which he resigned in 1815, upon his election to the vicarage of Leeds. Mr. Fawcett was an active and benevolent minister of religion, and much beloved by the principal inhabitants of Leeds, who testified their respect to his memory by attending his remains to the grave. The right of presentation to this valuable vicarage is vested in 25 trustees.

At West Hoathly, in Sussex, aged 36, the Rev. Charles John Paterson, Vicar of that parish. He was of Caius college, Cambridge, B.A. 1822; and was presented to that living in 1827 by the Lord Chancellor.

Jan. 24. At Edinburgh, at a very advanced age, the Rev. Dr. Anderson, Collegiate Minister of the Old Grey Friars Church.

At Standlake, in Oxfordshire, aged 82, the Reverend James Stopes, Vicar of Wormenhall, Bucks, and Curate of Standlake and Yelford. He was the son of the Rev. James Stopes, and was born at Britwell, co. Oxford ; was educated at Merchant-taylors' school, whence he was elected to a scholarship of St. John's college, Oxford, in 1773; became in due course a Fellow; and graduated B.A. 1777,- M.A. 1781. He was presented to Wormenhall in 1795, by Lord Clifden. Jan. 25. The Rev. William Farley, Vicar of Effingham, Surrey. He was the son of Thomas Farley, esq. of West-

« AnteriorContinuar »