Comentarios de usuarios - Escribir una reseña
No hemos encontrado ninguna reseña en los sitios habituales.
Otras ediciones - Ver todo
Academy acres Albany County Allen attractive bank beautiful Beaver street Beverwyck Bleecker Blvd boat boulevard Broadway Broeck built capacity Capitol Central Ave City Hall city line Clinton avenue club Common Council contains corner County Delaware Ave depot Dutch Eagle East edifice Education building Erastus Corning erected Eyck famous fire floor granite Guilderland handsome Harmanus Bleecker Howard streets Hudson avenue Hudson river incorporated Inscription James John V. L. Pruyn July Kiliaen Van Rensselaer Lake Lark street Livingston Ave located Lodge street Loudonville Madison Ave Madison avenue Maiden lane mansion McCarty Ave Menands miles Museum North Albany North Pearl street Note occupied opened Orange organized Peter's church Pieter Schuyler Pruyn Quay railroad Rensselaer Schenectady Schuyler Scotland Ave Scotland avenue Second Ave Sheridan South Steuben street stood Swan Thacher tion Troy Road Washington Ave Washington avenue Washington park Watervliet West Albany Westerlo Western Ave
Página 223 - The Gift of Her Majesty Ann, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France and Ireland and of Her Plantations, in North America, Queen, to Her Indian Chappel of the Onondawgus.
Página 100 - Upon this spot, washed by the tide, stood the North East bastion of Fort Orange, erected about 1623. Here the powerful Iroquois met the deputies of this and other colonies in conference to establish treaties. Here the first courts were held. Here in 1643, under the direction of Dominie Johannes Megapolensis, a learned and estimable minister, the earliest church was erected North West of the fort, and to the South of it stood the dominie's house.
Página 103 - ... Corner. A trading house outside the stockade. On South Pearl street wall County Bank building (at first was on the original house torn down to make place for the bank). Inscription: The oldest building in Albany, built 1667. Birthplace of General Philip Schuyler and Elizabeth Schuyler, his daughter, wife of Alexander Hamilton. Adjoining on the west was the famous Lewis Tavern.
Página 107 - WHEREAS, the teaching of the English tongue is necessary in this government; I have, therefore, thought fitt to give License to John Shutte to be the English Schoolmaster at Albany ; And, upon condition that the said John Shutte shall not demand any more wages from each Schollar than is given by the Dutch to their Dutch Schoolmasters, I have further granted to the said John Shutte that hee shall bee the onely English Schoolmaster at Albany.
Página 102 - Schermerhorn at five o'clock in the morning "Die Sabbithi," February 9, 1690, after a hard ride by the way of Niskayuna in the intense cold and deep snow, shot in the thigh and his horse wounded, arrived with just enough strength to awaken the guard and alarm the people of Albany with the news "Yt ye French and Indians have murthered ye people of Skinnechtady ! " Symon's son and negroes were killed on that fatal night. Symon died in New York, 1696. To the north was the road to the Canadas. Through...
Página 101 - Megapolcnsis, a learned and estimable minister, the earliest church was erected North West of the fort, and to the South of it stood the dominie's house. FORT FREDERICK TABLET /-^Granite block bearing tablet stands on sidewalk near curb on lower edge Capitol park. Inscription : Facing the river on an eminence on this broad street opposite St. Peter's church stood Fort Frederick. Built about 1676. Removed 1789. Gallows Hill to the South. Fort burial ground to the North.
Página 108 - Beaver street wall of building, northwest corner Beaver and Green streets. Inscription : Site of Hugh Denniston's tavern. The first stone house in Albany, where Gen. Washington was presented with the freedom of the city in 1782 and 1783. It was removed during the year of the first cholera, 1832.
Página 224 - Dr. George F. Kunz, President of the American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society...