Imágenes de página

by hiding them, but it was impossible to say that this wouid be of any avail. The opposition to him was active and bitter, and when news at last came by way of Virginia that James the Second had been dethroned, and that the Prince of Orange was at the head of affairs in England, endurance ceased and a storm broke forth. An insurrection immediately took place in Boston; the drums beat to arms; people came together from all parts of the province, and the energy displayed was so great that all thoughts of resistance were at once abandoned by the Government. Andros and about fifty of the most obnoxious characters were seized and imprisoned. Bradstreet, who had so often served the commonwealth of Massachusetts, was chosen in his stead. A committee of safety was appointed, and on the reassembling of the Legislature shortly after, it was declared that the old charter was resumed, and it reappointed all the other magistrates who had been in office in 1686. Agents were sent to England with charges against Andros and his counsellors. They were coldly received, however, and they had the mortification to see him turn their accuser, and afterwards to know that he had been appointed Governor of Virginia. Previously to going to England he had been some months in confinement. When he assumed the government of Virginia in 1692 he brought over the charter of William and Mary College, the first in the Southern States. His administration proved highly beneficial to Virginia, and he gained the consideration of the people. His term of office closed in 1698, when he returned to England. In 1704 the government of Guernsey was bestowed upon him, holding it for two years. Ile continued Bailiff till his death, which took place in the parish of St. Anne, Westminster, in February, 1713, in his seventy-sixth year. Sir Edmund Andros was married three times, and died without issue. A favorable account of him, de

. fending his actions, may be found in Leslie Stephen's Dictionary of National Biography.

AMIEL John, a loyal addresser of Lord and General Howe in 1776, was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and was in the grocery trade. He married Elizabeth Farquharson in 1770. In the Volunteer Corps raised by General Robertson in 1780 he was major.

[ocr errors]

ANTHONY ALLARD, a prominent citizen of New Amsterdam, was a merchant, living in Pearl, near Broad street. He was frequently the consignee of ships from Holland, and was besides engaged in retail trade. He had a farm near the city. No mention of his name is found in the records before 1652, and he was still active in 1677. He was Schepen in 1653, Burgomaster from 1655 to 1657, and again in 1660 and 1661, and Sheriff in 1663, 1665, 1666, and from 1671 to 1673. He is believed to have been wealthy.

APTHORPE CHARLES WARD, a gentleman of English birth, was resident at Bloomingdale for some years previous to the Revolutionary war. He was appointed a member of the Governor's Council in 1763, and held this office till the British evacuation. He was a loyalist, and for that reason a considerable property which he held in Massachusetts was confiscated. His name, however, does not appear in the New York Statute of Confiscation of 1779.

Astor John Jacob, a great capitalist, was born in the village of Waldorf, near the ancient city of Heidelberg, in Germany, July 17, 1763. His father was a butcher. The son earned enough money to take him to England about the close of our Revolutionary war, and was there employed in a piano factory. In 1784 he came to this country, landing at Baltimore, but shortly after arriving here he learned the furrier's trade, and as soon as he had a little capital began buying and selling furs. While the State of New York was a wilderness he frequently made trips into the interior to trade with the Indians. He formed connections with houses in London in the same line that he was, and speedily became a rich man. As his wealth increased he enlarged his business until, by the formation of the American Fur Company, he was a competitor with the great capitalists of Europe, the proprietors of the Northwestern and Canadian Fur Companies. Such was his enterprise that he extended his business to the mouth of the Columbia River, and formed the first establishment there, known as Astoria. The war of 1812 interfered with this and compelled its abandonment. He also traded by sea to many countries, particularly cultivating the China trade. On these investments he reaped very largely. He bought United States securities at a time when they were distrusted by others, finding afterwards


that his judgment was correct as to their great value. But his chief gains were made in lands. He had the gift to see that property on the island of New York must continually increase in value, and he therefore purchased as largely as possible. This policy has been followed by his son and grandsons. Shortly before his death he matured plans for a free public library, which went into operation in 1853, and is one of the chief ornaments of this city. Ile was married to Sarah Todd, who proved a great acquisition, early in life. His death happened March 29th, 1848. The fortune he left, which went mainly to his son William B. Astor, was estimated at twenty-five millions of dollars.

AUCIMUTY SAMUEL, D. D., rector of Trinity Church at the time of the American Revolution, was a son of Robert Auchmuty, an eminent lawyer of Boston, born in Scotland. Robert left two sons, one being named Robert after him, also an excellent lawyer. Samuel Auchmuty was born in Boston, January 16th, 1722, and was graduated at Harvard University in 1742. He then went to England to study for holy orders. On being ordained he was appointed by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel an assistant minister of Trinity Church in this city, and in 1764, upon the death of the rector, he succeeded to him. At the time of the Revolution he had made arrangements again to visit England, in expectation of being consecrated Bishop of New York, but the perilous condition of affairs rendered it necessary he should stay at home. He continued his ministrations in the church, and succeeded in keeping his flock together. Dr. Auchmuty being opposed to the Revolution, and adhering to the cause of the mother country, continued, in the public services of the church, to read prayers for the King. When the Americans took possession of New York, this practice being offensive to them, Lord Stirling sent him a message that if he continued to do so he would on the following Sunday send a file of soldiers and take him from the desk. But the Doctor, thinking he could not omit these prayers

without violating his ordination vows, began the reading of them as usual; upon which Lord Stirling marched into the church with a company of soldiers, the band playing Yankee Doodle. The Doctor's voice never faltered, but he went on and finished the prayers; and the soldiers marched up one aisle and down another, and went out again without any violence. After church, he sent for the keys of Trinity and its chapels, and took them to New Jersey, ordering that they should not again be opened until the liturgy could be performed without interruption. When the British were again in possession of the city, as happened in September, 1776, he resolved at once to return to his beloved parish, and applied for leave to pass the American lines. This was refused, but with the unfailing energy which characterized his whole career, he determined to return on foot by a circuitous route to avoid being stopped. After undergoing great hardships, sleeping in the woods, and heedless of exposure, lie reached the city. During his absence, Trinity Church and his parsonage had been burned to the ground. The Sunday following he preached in St. Paul's for the last time. The hardships he had undergone brought on an illness, which terminated his life in a few days, March 4th, 1777, in the 52d year of his age.


MARCH. 1st. Sunday. Fore-noon—went to St. Paul's & partook of the Sacrament. After-noon-at the Doctor's-Read Zimmerman on Solitude. came home before tea-time—went about 7 to Trinity Church & heard part of Mr. Bisset's Lecture.

2d. Morning-Engrav’d 2 of Carey's cuts.—Attended Chem. Lecture.- Spent 5d for Figs.- After-noon-began to work at Birdsall's copper-plate. Return’d Zimmerman & got a vol. of Rollin from Fellows's.--came home before 8, in the evening & cast type-metal.

3d. Attended Chemical Lecture.- saw Dr. Johnson* on the

* Dr. William Samuel Johnson, then President of Columbia College, was born in Connecticut in 1727. He was sent to Yale, and there graduated in 1744. He afterwards became a lawyer. In 1766 he was the agent of Connecticut in England. While there he formed the acquaintance of Dr. Samuel Johnson, the lexicographer, and corresponded with him until his death. He returned in 1771, and in 1772 was appointed a judge of the Supreme Court of Connecticut, which he resigned three years after. In 1785 he was a delegate to Congress, and in 1787 was a member of the Convention which framed the Constitution of the United States. He was subsequently a Senator from Connecticut. In 1792 he was chosen President of Columbia College, and held this position for eight years. He was an ardent Episcopalian, and the son of Dr. Samuel Johnson, the first President of King's, now Columbia College, who did much to organize the American Church. William Samuel Johnson died in 1819 in Con necticut, being then ninety-two years old.

subject of the copperplate for the College Library.--stopp'd in and saw Mr. Youle.—This morning Dr. Davidson left town for Bethlehem.—Capt. Rogers & his wife call?d in at my Father's in the evening-I was busy filing off type-metal cuts.

4th. Morning assisted Mama in some important alterationsnamely removing a Closet, &c.-receiv'd ib} of Raisins for a compensation. Attended Chem. Lecture.-got further directions for the copperplate from Mr. Rattoon. Return'd Rollin & got Smith's Letters from Fellows's, paid 10d.—Evening-Mr. Fuller came and gave me directions for an engraving of window-blinds which he wants done for the New’s-paper.—I went to see Mr. Bailey's negro boy, who thought fit to be sick-he had been to Dr. Smith who gave him some lumps of Assafetidia to take.—I got Bell's Surgery from Durell, at 207.-On offering to take back the cuts from Buel* he delivered me 8 of them, the remainder were in the form.

5th. Morning-Engravd Fuller's cut.-Attended Chem. Lecture.--After-noon, part of it spent in etching.–Mama and John were preparing to visit Miss Buchanan. Evening--read Smith's letters & wrote from the Amanitat. Academica.- After 8 came home and fil'd type-metal. Mr. Fuller came for the cut & paid me 4/. Mama read part of Capt. Fanning’st manuscript Journal to us, - an account of Paul Jones's Engagement with the Serapis.

6th. Attended Chem. Lecture.—Spent 6d for Raisins.-I Went to the Hospital—but came away without seeing Dr. Smith.—Busy etching almost all the afternoon. Mr. White, the little neat Batchelor and Miss S. Graham drank tea with us.


* John Buel, printer, corner of Water and Market streets.

+ Captain Edmund Fanning, a shipmaster, whose residence in New York was at 35 Cheapside, now Hamilton street.

« AnteriorContinuar »