This comprehensive survey of Spain’s history looks at themajor political, social, and economic changes that took place fromthe end of the Civil War to the beginning of the twenty-firstcentury.
- A thorough introduction to post-Civil War Spain, from itsdevelopment under Franco and subsequent transition to democracy upto the present day
- Tusell was a celebrated public figure and historian. During hislifetime he negotiated the return to Spain of Picasso’sGuernica, was elected UCD councillor for Madrid, and becamea respected media commentator before his untimely death in2005
- Includes a biography and political assessment of FranciscoFranco
- Covers a number of pertinent topics, including fascism,isolationism, political opposition, economic development,decolonization, terrorism, foreign policy, and democracy
- Provides a context for understanding the continuing tensionsbetween democracy and terrorism, including the effects of the 2004Madrid Bombings