« AnteriorContinuar »
63. [ALLSTREE (RICHARD).] The Gentleman's Calling, by the Author of The Whole Duty of Man, London, printed by R. Norton, 1677; (II) The Art of Contentment, by the Author of The Whole Duty of Man, &c., At the Theatre in Oxford, 1675. Frontispieces to both volumes. 2 vols. in 1. 8vo, contemporary binding of black morocco, Covered with a rich design of gold and silver tooling, gilt edges. [Oxford, 1675-77]
64. [ALLSTREE (RICHARD).] The Lively Oracles given to us. Or the Christians Birth-right and Duty, in the custody and use of the Holy Scripture. By the Author of the Whole Duty of Man, &c. Frontispiece by Burg and engraving of the Sheldonian Theatre on the title, with leaf of imprimatur. 12mo, contemporary English black morocco, Covered with an intricate and rich design of fruit and flowers in gold and silver, gilt edges. With Griffith bookPlate. At the Theater in Oxford, 1678
65. [ALLSTREE (RICHARD).] The Whole Duty of Man, Laid down In a Plain and Familiar Way, for the Use of All, but especially the Meanest Reader. Divided into XVII Chapters; ... Engraved title and frontispiece. Ruled throughout with red ink. 8vo, old red morocco, with elaborate tooling of English execution, gilt edges; evidently bound for one "Elizabeth Nicholas in 1725," as the name and date appear on the side covers.
London: Printed by John Baskett, 1724
*The authorship of the above is now generally attributed to Richard Allstree, a Royalist divine at the time of the English Wars of the Commonwealth.
66. ALMANAC. The Ladies' Diary: or Woman's Almanack, For the Year of our Lord, 1751. .. For the Use and Pleasure of the Fair-Sex. Being the Forty Eighth Almanack publish'd of this Kind. Portrait on title. Original blue morocco, covered with tooling in the "cottage" Pattern, with flap, silver catch and pocket.
[London] Printed for the Company of Stationers, 1751.
67. ALMANACH ROYAL. Année bissextile MDCCLXXXIII. 8vo, old French red morocco, the sides richly gilt, THE ARMS OF CHARLES ROBERT BOUTIN, treasurer-general, executed in 1794, on the centre of both covers, gilt back, fleur-de-lis in the panels, silk linings, gilt edges.
[Paris] Veuve d'Houry & Debore 
* From the de Bure library, with autograph of J. J. de Bure, l'aîné.
68. AMADIS DE GAULE. Thrésor des Livres d'Amadis de Gaule. Assauoir les Harengues, Concions, Epistres, Complaintes, & autres choses les plus excellentes. red levant morocco, entirely uncut, by Duru, from the P. Desq library. Lyon, par la veufve de G. Cotier, 1572
69. AMBOISE (MICHEL D'). Le Secret d'Amours, ou sont contennes plusieurs lettres tant en rithme qu'en prose, fort recreatives a tous amants. 8vo, blue levant morocco gilt, wreaths of leaves on the covers, inside dentelle borders, gilt edges, by Trautz-Bauzonnet.
Paris: Estienne Caveiller, 1542 70. AMES (JOSEPH). Typographical Antiquities: Being an Historical Account of Printing in England: With some Memoirs of our Antient Printers, and A Register of the Books printed by them, from The Year MCCCCLXXI to the Year MDC. with an Appendix concerning Printing in Scotland and Ireland To the same Time. Engraved frontispiece, portrait of Caxton and numerous printers' marks. 4to, contemporary English morocco, richly tooled back and sides, gilt edges. London: Printed by W. Faden, 1749
71. AMMAN (JOST). Künstliche und wolgerissene figuren der furnembsten Euangelien, durchs gantze Jar, sampt den Passion vnd zwolff Aposteln, dergleichen vor nie in druck auszgangen. 80 fine woodcuts representing the life and passion of Christ, by Jost Amman, all brilliant impressions. 4to, full brown levant morocco, blind tooled sides, with gilt lines, gilt edges, by Thompson.
Francofurti, Petrus Fabricius impensis Sigismundi Feyrabendi, 1579.
72. AMMAN (JOST). Artliche unnd Kunstreiche Figurn Zuder Reutteren sampt jrem musterhafftem Geschmuck Dergleichgen nie aussgangen. Title in black and red within a woodcut border, and 95 woodcuts of equestrian exercises, by Jost Amman. 4to, full red levant morocco gilt, gilt tooled inside borders, gilt edges, by Trautz-Bauzonnet. Franckfort: Sigmund Feyrabend, 1854
73. AMMAN (JOST). Cleri totius Romanæ Ecclesiæ subiecti Seu Pontificiorvm Ordinvm omnivm omnino vtrivsqve sexvs, habitvs, artificiosissimis figuris, quibus Francisci Modii singula octosticha adiecta sunt, nunc primùm à Ivdoco Ammanno expressi. FIRST EDITION. 103 fine woodcuts by Jost Amman, representing the costume of the clergy and of the religious orders, all brilliant impressions. 4to, original vellum.
Francoforti Martinus Lechlerus impensis Sigismundi Feyrabendii, 1585.
74. AMMAN (HANS JACOB). 1. Das Gelobte Land. 2. Die Insul Jamaica. 3. Die Caribes und Neuw Engel Land in America. 4. Die Landtschafft Fetü in Africa. Engraved title and frontispiece with the author's portrait by Meyer and 4 plates. 8vo, dark olive levant morocco, gilt side borders, gilt edges, by Joly. Zürich, 1678
* Descriptions of voyages made by the author, with interesting comments on the manners and customs of the Indians.
Odæ græce et latine. Small 4to, full old rose crushed levant morocco, elaborate design of interlacing bands in light brown, blue, green and red levant within gold lines, the spaces filled with gold arabesque Ornaments in the Grolier manner, gilt tooled back and inside border, gilt edges, by the Club Bindery, in a case. Lutetiæ apud Henricum Stephanum, 1554
* FIRST EDITION. One of only two copies PRINTED ON VELLUM, the other in the Sunderland library.
76. ANACREON. Odaria, græce, præfixo commentario quo poetæ genus traditur. Printed in capitals. 4to, old blue levant morocco, inlaid borders of citron and green morocco, with gold ornaments, inner narrow border of red orocco, within gold lines, gilt back, silk linings, gilt edges. Parmæ: Ex Regio Typographeio (Bodoni), 1785 * One of a small number of copies printed on Holland paper.
77. ANACREON. Odæ græce. Printed throughout in capital letters. Svo, original boards, morocco back, in a Parmæ: In aedibus Palatinis (Bodoni), 1791
*One of 6 copies PRINTED ON VELLUM. Formerly in the possession of General Junot, Duc d'Abrantés.
78. ANACRÉON. Sapho, Bion et Moschus, Traduction nouvelle en Prose, suivie de la Veillée des Fêtes de Vénus, et d'un choix de Pièces de différens Auteurs. Par M. M*** C** [Jules-Jacques Moutonnet de Clairfons.] (avec Héro et Léandre et les Idylles de Théocrite. 2 frontisPieces engraved by Massard and Duclos after Eisen, and 12 vignettes and 13 tail-pieces by Massard after Eisen. 2 parts in one vol. 4to, old French green morocco gilt, gilt edges, by Derome. Paphos, et se trouve à Paris, 1773-74 * LARGE PAPER. One of the most elegant illustrated French books of the 18th century. From the Pixerecourt Collection. 79. ANACREON. Sapho, Bion et Moschus, Traduction ouvelle en Prose, suivie de la Veillée des Fêtes de Vénus. Et d'un choix de Pièces de différens Auteurs. Par M. M* * * C ** [Jules Jacques Moutonnet de Clairfons]. Full-page plate and 25 vignettes by Massard after Eisen. 4to, half red morocco, gilt back and top, uncut. Bound Paphos, 1780
ith MUSEUS' "Héro et Léandre," 1774.
* Largest Holland paper copy, ruled in red ink.
80. ANACREON. Recueil de Compositions Dessinées par Girodet, et gravées par M. Chatillon, son élève, avec la traduction en prose des Odes de ce poète, Faite également par Girodet. With 54 plates, proofs on India paper. Small folio, half red levant morocco, filleted back, gilt top, uncut, by Allô. Paris, 1825
81. ANCIENS POÈTES (LES) DE LA FRANCE. India paper copy. 8 vols. 12mo, calf gilt, gilt tops, other edges Paris, 1858-64
82. ANDERSON (JAMES). The Constitutions of the Antient and Honourable Fraternity of Free and Accepted Masons, containing their History, Charges, Regulations, &c., collected and digested, by Order of the Grand Lodge, from their old Records, faithful Traditions, and LodgeBooks, for the Use of Lodges, by James Anderson, D.D., and carefully revised, continued, and enlarged by John Entick, M. A. A New Edition, with Alterations and Additions, by a Committee appointed by the Grand Lodge. Frontispiece by Cole after Boitard. 4to.
London: In the Vulgar Year of Masonry 5767  Contemporary red morocco, the back and sides covered with gilt tooling of birds, flowers, etc., doublure of green morocco, with broad gold tooled borders, gilt edges, A very fine example of English binding of the period, probably executed by Robert Black,
83. ANDROUET DU CERCEAU (JACQUES). Livre d'Architecture, auquel sont contenues diverses ordonnances de plants et élévations de bastiments pour Seigneurs, Gentilshommes, et autres qui voudront bastir au champs. 45 etched plates of castles and plans. Folio, full red levant morocco, with the arms of Baron A. Seillière stamped in gold in the centre of both covers, gilt tooled inside borders, gilt edges by Lortic.
Paris: Pour Jacques Androuet du Cerceau, 1582
84. ANEAU (BARTHOLEMY). Imagination Poetique, traduicte en vers Françoise, des Latins, & Grecz, par l'auteur mesme d'iceux. FIRST EDITION. 106 woodcuts. 8vo, blue levant morocco, gilt floral wreath in the centre of the sides, gilt edges, by Trautz-Bauzonnet.
Lyon: Macé Bonhomme, 1552 85. ANGLO-BATAVIA.—IIPOTEAEIA Anglo Batavia Pari Plusquàm Virgineo, Gvilielmo Araufii, & Maria Britanniarum, Academia Oxoniensi Procurante. Portraits of William and Mary by W. Marshall. Small 4to, original vellum wrappers. Oxoniæ: Excudebat Leonadus Lichfield, 1641 *Containing verses by Jasper Mayne, Wm. Cartwright, Henry Vaughan, Henry Killigrew, etc., in celebration of the marriage of Mary (eldest daughter of Charles I) and William II of Orange. The volume is very rare, the printer's establishment having been destroyed by fire about three years later and the whole of his stock destroyed. The Lefferts copy with book plate.
86. ANGOLA, histoire indienne; Ouvrage sans vraisemblance. Nouvelle edition (by de La Morliére). Fleurons on titles, 2 vignettes by Maisonneuve, and 5 plates by Tardieu, Aveline and Maisonneuve all after Eisen. 2 parts in one volume, 12mo, light brown levant morocco, covered with mosiac compartments in dark brown and red morocco, gilt tooled in dots, circles, etc.; doublure of blue levant with gilt dentelle borders, in the manner of Derome, gilt edges, by Thibaron-Joly, in morocco slip case.
Agra (Paris) 1751
87. ANNULAIRE Agathopédique et Saucial. zwoodcut illustrations and 4 pages of music score. creen morocco, gilt back and side panels, gilt edges. Bruxelles 
*The above annual was the only one published, although "No. IV" appears on title-page.
With 44 8vo, full
ANNE OF BEAUJEU-daughter of King Louis XI of rance.
* See under Manuscripts.
88. ANTHOLOGIA GRÆCA. Florilegium diversorum epigrammatum veterum, in septem libros divisum, magno epigrammatum numero et duobus indicibus auctum. Title
uled with red ink. 4to, old English red straight-grained morocco gilt, gilt gauffred edges. The Syston Park copy. [Genevæ] Henricus Stephanus, 1566
89. ANTIDOTE AGAINST MELANCHOLY (AN). Made up in Pills. Compounded of Witty Ballads, Jovial Songs, and Merry Catches. Engraved title. Small 4to, blue straight-grain morocco gilt, gilt edges, by C. Smith.
Printed by Mer. Melancholicus, to be sold in London and
* FIRST EDITION, from the Jolley collection, with bookplate and autograph.
An Antidote against Melancholy. Being a Collection of Fourscore Merry Songs, wherein Those on the same Subject and Key, are placed in an agreeable Succession, In Relation to the Different Measures of Time, After the Manner of Suits of Lessons. The Music of them all entirely new, and several of the Songs never before set to Music. Small 8vo, tree calf gilt, gilt edges. London: Printed for Daniel Browne, 1749
91. APULEIUS. Opera necnon Epitoma Alcinoi in disciplinarum Platonis. Roman characters, with passages in Greek printed in the text. 117 unnumbered leaves (including the blank 160) without signatures and catchwords; 38 lines to the page. Folio, old vellum gilt.
Romæ [C. Sweynheym et A. Pannartz] in domo Petri de Maximo, 1469.
*EDITIO PRINCEPS. One of the rarest First Editions of Classical Authors, only 275 copies having been printed, and the only one in which the text was left unmutilated at the time of the Inquisition. One leaf of text missing, otherwise a fine copy, with two of the spaces for initials elaborately outlined for illumination, Hain & Copinger, 1314; Proctor, 3297.
92. APULEIUS. L'Amovr de Cvpido et de Psiche, Nouuellement histoirée, & Exposée tant en vers Italiens, que Françoys . . . [par Jean Maugin, dit le Petit Angevin]. Engraved borders and thirty-two woodcut illustrations after the so-called Raphael designs, copied from the