« AnteriorContinuar »
BOHN'S SCHOOL AND COLLEGE SERIES.
1. THE NEW TESTAMENT IN GREEK. Griesbach's text, with the various readings of Mill and Scholz at foot of page, and Parallel References in the margin; also a Critical Introduction and Chronological Tables. By an Eminent Scholar. With two facsimiles of Greek Manuscripts. Post 8vo. (650 pages) cloth, 3s. 6d. Or, with a complete Greek and English Lexicon to the New Testament (250 pages additional), 5s.
UNIFORM WITH THE STANDARD LIBRARY,
BARBAULD'S (MRS.) SELECTIONS FROM THE SPECTATOR, TATLER, GUARDIAN, AND FREEHOLDER. In 2 Vols. 3s. 6d. per Volume.
BRITISH POETS, from MILTON to KIRKE WHITE, Cabinet Edition, comprising, in a very small but remarkably clear type, as much matter as the sixty volumes of Johnson's Poets. Complete in 4 Vols. Frontispieces. 14s.
CARY'S TRANSLATION OF DANTE. Extra cloth. 7s. 6d.
CHILLINGWORTH'S RELIGION OF PROTESTANTS. 35. 6d.
tions by HARVEY, (including the Cochin-China Fowl). 5s.
HORACE'S ODES AND EPODES, translated literally and rhythmically by the Rev.
W. SEWELL. 3s. 6d.
IRVING'S (WASHINGTON) WORKS. Complete in 10 Vols. 17. 158., or 3s. 6d. ) per vol. JOYCE'S INTRODUCTION TO THE ARTS AND SCIENCES. 3s. 6d. LAMARTINE'S THREE MONTHS IN POWER. Sewed, 2s.
LAMARTINE'S POETICAL MEDITATIONS AND RELIGIOUS HARMONIES, with Biographical Sketch. Portrait. Cloth, 3s. 6d.
LAWRENCE'S LECTURES ON COMPARATIVE ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY,
LOWTH'S LECTURES ON THE SACRED POETRY OF THE HEBREWS. 3s. 6d.
PARKES ELEMENTARY CHEMISTRY. New Edition, with Woodcuts, Ss. 6d.
- the same, with 40 Steel Engravings, cloth, gilt edges, 5s. STANDARD LIBRARY CYCLOPÆDIA OF POLITICAL, CONSTITUTIONAL, STATISTICAL, AND FORENSIC KNOWLEDGE. 4 Vols., 3s. 6d. each.
This work contains as much as eight ordinary octavos. It was first published in another shape by Mr. Charles Knight, under the title of Political Dictionary, at £1 16s. The Compiler, MR. GEORGE LONG, is one of the most competent Scholars of the day.
UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, with Introductory Remarks by the REV. J. SHERMAN, (printed in a large clear type, with head-lines of Contents). 2s. 6d.
The same, on fine paper, with 8 new Illustrations by LEECH and GILBERT, and a beautiful Frontispiece by HINCHLIFF. 3s. 6d.
THE WIDE, WIDE WORLD, by ELIZABETH WETHERELL. Complete in 1 Volume, with Frontispiece, gilt edges, 3s. Cd.
The same. With 9 highly finished Engravings on Steel, 5s..
UNIFORM WITH THE STANDARD LIBRARY.
BOHN'S SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, price 5s., excepting those marked otherwise.
1. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S HAND-BOOK, with Diagrams.
2. LECTURES ON PAINTING, by THE ROYAL ACADEMICIANS.
3, 4, 8, & 15. HUMBOLDTS COSMOS; or, Sketch of a Physical Description of the Universe. Translated, with Notes, by E. C. OTTE. In 4 Vols., with fine Portrait. This Translation (though published at so low a price) is more complete than any other. The Notes are placed beneath the text. Humboldt's analytical summaries, and the passages hitherto suppressed, are included; and comprehensive Indices subjoined. 3s. 6d. per Volume.
5. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S COMPANION, comprising a New Treatise on Odds, a Collection of Match Games, Original Problems, &c.
6. HAND-BOOK OF GAMES, by VARIOUS AMATEURS and PROFESSORS. 7. HUMBOLDT'S VIEWS OF NATURE, with coloured view of Chimborazo, &c.
9. RICHARDSON'S GEOLOGY, AND PALEONTOLOGY, Revised by Dr. WRIGHT, with upwards of 400 Illustrations on Wood.
10. STOCKHARDT'S PRINCIPLES OF CHEMISTRY, Exemplified in Simple Experiments, with upwards of 270 Illustrations.
11. DR. G. A. MANTELL'S PETRIFACTIONS AND THEIR TEACHINGS; A Hand-Book to the Fossils in the British Muscum. Beautiful Wood Engravings. 6s. 12. AGASSIZ AND GOULD'S COMPARATIVE PHYSIOLOGY. New and Enlarged Edition, with nearly 400 Illustrations.
13, 19, & 28. HUMBOLDT'S PERSONAL NARRATIVE OF HIS TRAVELS IN AMERICA. With General Index.
14. PYE SMITH'S GEOLOGY AND SCRIPTURE. Fifth Edition, with Memoir. 16 OERSTED'S SOUL IN NATURE, &c. Portrait.
17. STAUNTON'S CHESS TOURNAMENT, with Diagrams.
18 & 20. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. KIRBY on the History, Habits, and Instincts of Animals; Edited by T. RYMER JONES. In 2 Vols. Many Illustrations 21. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. KIDD On the Adaptation of Extermi Nature to the Physical Condition of Man. Ss. 6d.
22. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. WHEWELL'S Astronomy and General Physics, considered with reference to Natural Theology. Portrait of the Earl of Bridgewater. 38. 6d.
23. SCHOUW'S EARTH, PLANTS, AND MAN, and KOBELL'S SKETCHES FROM THE MINERAL KINGDOM, Translated by A. HENFREY, F.R.S., &c. 24. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. CHALMERS on the Adaptation of Externa Nature to the Moral and Intellectual Constitution of Man, with the Author's last Corrections, and Biographical Sketch by the REV. DR. CUMMING.
25. BACON'S NOVUM ORGANUM AND ADVANCEMENT OF LEARNING. Complete, with Notes, by J. DEVEY, M.A.
26 & 27. HUMPHREY'S COIN COLLECTOR'S MANUAL: a popular mitroduction to the Study of Coins, ancient and modern; with elaborate Indexes, and numerous highly-finished Engravings on Wood and Steel, 2 Vols.
29. COMTE'S PHILOSOPHY OF THE SCIENCES, Edited from the Cours de
Philosophie Positive,' by G. H. LEWES, Esq.
30. MANTELL'S (DR.) GEOLOGICAL EXCURSIONS, including THE ISLE OF Woodcuts and Map.
WIGHT. New Edition, by T. RUPERT JONES. 31. HUNT'S POETRY OF SCIENCE; or, Studies of the Physical Phenomena of
Nature. Third Edition, revised and enlarged.
32 & 33. ENNEMOSER'S HISTORY OF MAGIC. Translated from the German by
WILLIAM HOWITT. With an Appendix by MARY HOWITT. In 2 Vols. 34, HUNT'S ELEMENTARY PHYSICS. Numerous Woodcuts.
35. HANDBOOK OF DOMESTIC MEDICINE, by an eminent Physician (700 pages). 36. STANLEY'S CLASSIFIED SYNOPSIS of Dutch, Flemish, and German Painters.
BOHN'S SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY.
37. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. PROUT on Chemistry, Meterology, and the Function of Digestion. Edited by DR. GRIFFITHS. Coloured Maps. 38. JOYCE'S SCIENTIFIC DIALOGUES. New and Enlarged Edition, completed in the present state of knowledge by DR. GRIFFITHS. Numerous Woodcuts. 39. STOCKHARDT'S AGRICULTURAL CHEMISTRY: or, CHEMICAL FIELD LECTURES. Addressed to Farmers. With Notes by PROFESSOR HENFREY and a Paper on LIQUID MANURE by J. J. MECHI, Esq.
40. BLAIR'S CHRONOLOGICAL TABLES, REVISED AND ENLARGED; comprehending the Chronology and History of the World to 1856. By J. W. ROSSE, (upwards of 800 pages). Double volume, 108.-or half morocco, 12s. 6d. 41. BOLLEY'S MANUAL OF TECHNICAL ANALYSIS; a Guide for the Testing of Natural and Artificial Substances, by B. H. PAUL. 100 Wood Engravings.
42 & 47. MANTELL'S WONDERS OF GEOLOGY; or, a Familiar Exposition of Geological Phenomena. Seventh Edition, revised and augmented by T. RUPERT JONES, F.G.S. Complete in 2 vols. Coloured Geological Map of England, plates, and upwards of 200 beautiful wood-cuts. 2 vols. Post 8vo., cloth, 7s. 6d. each. 43 & 46. CARPENTER'S ZOOLOGY; revised and completed to the present time, (under arrangement with the Author), by W. S. DALLAS, F.L.S. In 2 vols., (nearly 600 pages each), 6s. each. With many hundred Wood Engravings. CARPENTER'S MECHANICAL PHILOSOPHY, ASTRONOMY & HOROLOGY. With 181 Illustrations.
45 & 53. INDEX OF DATES, comprehending the principal Facts in the Chronology and History of the World, from the earliest to the present time. By J. W. ROSSE. two parts, forming one very thick volume, 10s; or half morocco, 12s. 6d. 48 & 49. MANTELL'S MEDALS OF CREATION; or, First Lessons in Geology and in the Study of Organic Remains. 2 thick vols. Second edition, extensively revised, with several hundred wood-cnts of Fossil Remains. The 2 vols. 158. 60. HUMBOLDT'S COSMOS. Vol. V. Terrestrial Phenomena, Volcanoes, Earth
quakes, Springs, &c. 58.
51. CARPENTER'S VEGETABLE PHYSIOLOGY AND SYSTEMATIC BOTANY. New edition, carefully revised. 217 Wood Engravings. 68. 52. DE JUSSIEU'S ELEMENTS OF BOTANY. By J. H. WILSON. 750 wood cuts
BOHN'S ILLUSTRATED LIBRARY.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, at 58. per volume.
1 to 8. LODGE'S PORTRAITS OF ILLUSTRIOUS PERSONAGES OF GREAT BRITAIN. 8 Vols. post 8vo. 240 Portraits.
9. CRUIKSHANK'S THREE COURSES AND DESSERT, with 50 Illustrations. 0. PICKERING'S RACES OF MAN, with numerous Fortraits (or Coloured 7s. 6d.) 11. KITTO'S SCRIPTURE LANDS, AND BIBLICAL ATLAS, with 24 Maps, (
Coloured, 7s. 6d.)
12. WHITE'S NATURAL HISTORY OF SELBORNE, with Notes by SIR WM JARDINE and others, edited, with large additions, by E. JESSE, Esq. With 40 highly-finished Wood Engravings (Coloured, 73. 6d.)
13. DIDRON'S CHRISTIAN ICONOGRAPHY. With 150 Engravings. Vol. I. 14. REDDING ON WINES. New and Revised Edition, with 20 beautiful Woodcuts. 15 & 16. ALLEN'S BATTLES OF THE BRITISH NAVY. New Edition. Enlarged by the Author. Numerous fine Portraits on Steel. 2 Vols. 17 & 18. ROME IN THE NINETEENTH CENTURY.
Fifth Edition, in 2 Vols.,
with 34 fine Steel Engravings, and Index.
19. MAXWELL'S VICTORIES OF WELLINGTON AND THE BRITISH ARMIES, with Engravings on Steel.
20. LIFE OF WELLINGTON, by "AN OLD SOLDIER," compiled from the materials of Maxwell; with an Account of the Funeral. 18 highly-finished steel Engravings. 21. MARY AND WM. HOWITT'S STORIES OF ENGLISH AND FOREIGN LIFE, C with 20 beautiful Steel Engravings.
22. BECHSTEIN'S CAGE and CHAMBER BIRDS, including SWEET's Warblers.
New Edition, greatly enlarged, numerous Plates (or Coloured, 7s. 6d.) 23. NORWAY AND ITS SCENERY, comprising PRICE's Journal, with large Additions and a Road Book. Edited by THOS. FORESTER, Esq. With 22 Illustrations, beautifully Engraved on Steel by Lucas.
. The Road Book is sold separately, price 28.
24. CHINA: PICTORIAL, DESCRIPTIVE, AND HISTORICAL, with some account of Ava and the Burmese, Siam and Assam. Illustrated by 100 Wood Engravings. 25. PICTORIAL HANDBOOK OF LONDON. With 205 Engravings and large Map. 26. MARY HOWITT'S PICTORIAL CALENDAR OF THE SEASONS.
Upwards of 100 Illustrations.
27. DANTE, translated into English Verse by I. C. WRIGHT, M.A. Third Edition,
carefully revised. Portrait, and 34 Illustrations on Steel, after FLAXMAN. 28 & 29. MUDIE'S BRITISH BIRDS. 2 Vols., with 52 figures of Birds, and 7 of Eggs.
(Or, with the Plates Coloured, 7s. 6d. per Vol.)
30. TASSO'S JERUSALEM DELIVERED, translated into English Verse, by J. H. &
WIFFEN. 4th Edition. 24 Engravings on Wood, and 8 on Steel.
31. INDIA: PICTORIAL, DESCRIPTIVE, AND HISTORICAL, from the Earliest
Times to the Present. Map and upwards of 100 Engravings on Wood.
32. NICOLINI'S HISTORY OF THE JESUITS. Portraits of Loyola, Lainez, Xavier,
Borgia, Acquaviva, Pere la Chaise, Ricci, and Pope Ganganelli.
33. ROBINSON CRUSOE, with Illustrations by STOTHARD and HARVEY, 12 beautiful Engravings on Steel, and 74 on Wood.
34. WALKER'S MANLY EXERCISES; containing Skating, Riding, Driving, Shooting, Sailing, Rowing, Swimming, &c. Tenth Edition, revised, with numerous Plates. 35. MILLER'S HISTORY OF THE ANGLO-SAXONS, on the basis of SHARON TURNER. Portrait of Alfred, Map, and 12 Engravings on Steel after Harvey. 36. MICHAEL ANGELO AND RAPHAEL. By DUPPA and QUATREMERE DE QUINCY. With 13 highly-finished Engravings, including the Cartoons.
37. WALTON'S COMPLETE ANGLER; with Notes, practical and historical. Edited by ED. JESSE and HENRY G. BOHN. Embellished with 203 Engravings on Wood, price 5.;-or with the addition of 26 Engravings on Steel, 7s. 6d. 38. MARRYAT'S MASTERMAN READY; with 93 Engravings on Wood. 39. TALES OF THE GENII. With numerous Wood cuts and 12 Steel Engravings. 40. GUIDE TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF POTTERY AND PORCELAIN; comprising the BERNAL CATALOGUE, with the Auction Prices and Names of the present Possessors; an Introductory Essay, and an Engraved List of all the known Marks and Monograms. By H. G. BOHN. Numerous Wood Engravings.
41. THE LIFE OF ALEXANDER POPE, including many of his Letters. By ROBERT CARRUTHERS. Revised and considerably enlarged; numerous Wood Engravings. C 42. POPE'S HOMER'S ILIAD. With Flaxman's Designs, and Introduction and Notes, by the Rev. J. S. WATSON, M.A.
43. BONOMI'S NINEVEH AND ITS PALACES. New Edition, including an Account of the Assyrian Sculptures recently added to the British Museum. 300 Engravings. 44. POPE'S HOMER'S ODYSSEY. With the Battle of Frogs and Mice, Hymns, &c., by other Translators, including CHAPMAN. With Flaxman's Designs.
45 & 50. POPE'S POETICAL WORKS, edited by ROBERT CARRUTHERS. New
Edition, revised. With numerous Engravings on Wood. In 2 volumes. 46. STUART AND REVETT'S ATHENS and other MONUMENTS OF GREECE. 71 Plates and numerous Woodcut Capitals. To which is added a Glossary. 47. LINDSAY'S (LORD) LETTERS ON EGYPT AND THE HOLY LAND. Fifth Edition, with additions, and 36 Wood Engravings and Maps.
48 & 52. ARIOSTO'S ORLANDO FURIOSO, in English Verse, by W. S. ROSE. With Portrait and 12 fine Engravings on Steel. Complete in 2 vols. 49. KRUMMACHER'S PARABLES. With 40 Illustrations by CLAYTON, engraved by
51. LEIGH HUNTS BOOK FOR A CORNER, with 80 extremely beautiful Wood Engravings, and a Frontispiece engraved on Steel.
63. HOLBEIN'S DANCE OF DEATH, AND BIBLE CUTS; upwards of 150 subjects beautifully engraved on wood in facsimile. With Descriptions by FRANCIS DOUCE, F.S.A., and THOMAS FROGNALL DIBDIN. 2 vols. in 1. 78. 6ď.
54. JESSE'S ANECDOTES OF DOGS. New edition, with large additions, and numerous Woodcuts after Harvey. 5s.-Or, with the addition of 34 highly finished steel Engravings after Cooper, Landseer, &c., 7s. 6d.
55. STARLING'S (MISS) NOBLE DEEDS OF WOMAN. Third Edition, with 14 beautiful illustrations on steel.
56. BUTLER'S HUDIBRAS, with variorum notes, a Biography, and a General Index. Edited by HENRY G. BOHN. With 30 woodcuts. Or, with the addition of 62 copper-plate Portraits. Bound in 2 vols. 10s.
57. THE YOUNG SPORTSMAN'S MANUAL; OR RECREATIONS IN SHOOTING. By CRAVEN. With Sixty-two Illustrations on Wood, and Nine Engravings on Steel.
CONTAINING THE SECOND BOOK OF
A TREATISE ON CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE,
COMPILED FROM THE HOLY SCRIPTURES ALONE.
TRANSLATED FROM THE ORIGINAL
CHARLES R. SUMNER, D.D.
LORD BISHOP OF WINCHESTER.
THE HISTORY OF BRITAIN. THE HISTORY OF MOSCOVIA.
ACCEDENCE COMMENCED GRAMMAR.
INDEX TO THE FIVE VOLUMES.
HENRY G. BOHN, YORK STREET, COVENT GARDEN.